Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Spaniards and their casas

I guess I've already been here long enough to despise and resent its people. I wish somebody would expain to me why these people are so hell bent on repairing every inch of their dwelling.

Sick at home for the second week from a severe case of allergies, I've had to put up with the little tart next door and her smelly hubby repair their fucking bathroom. What is next - the balcony? Or who knows, maybe they will build the world's first teracce (sp?) on the second floor. This is far from an isolated incident and is indicative of a pattern I've been observing since my arrival here. Walk through any of these narrow streets and you'll be hard pressed to find one without the relentless drone of a drill, or a hammer, or a crane. The skyline - of any city, mind you - is bristling with the ubitiqous crane. Really, it should be on their fucking flag.

Ask any of my students what they've been up to lately, and the response will be something about their casa - they are either buying one or repairing one.

I wonder if any of these people know their way to the library. Seriously people, get a book. Get a life.

4 comments:

The Misanthrope said...

Most people have no clue what a library is. The book store is their library. it's probably a good thing that don't go to the library because they would be talking and cell phone ringing.

Sophie said...

hehehee...true. maybe they are better off staying at home repairing the last inch...would love to move to iceland -
the most well-read people on earth.

Anonymous said...

And I foolishly thought that the natives are not able to buy real astate there because hordes of Brits are eagerly grabbing everything in sight.

Sophie said...

matti, i recently completed an article on the construction bonanza that is plaguing Spain. Young natives are indeed being left out of the market. As much as 50 percent of the housing in certain regions are beign bought by the Brits. Email me at satirogluht@yahoo.com if you'd like to
see the whole article.